1587 - Holinshed, Raphael - Chronicles (4)
|Author||Holinshed, Raphael et al.|
|Mentions||Parliament at Edinburgh prohibits Whitsuntide custom as well as Robin Hood events|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-05-19. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2017-06-15.
In Julie was a parlement held at Edenburgh, in the which manie acts and statutes were made, right profitable (as was then thought) for the common-weale of the realme. Amongest which, to passe ouer the rest, these séeme woorthie to remaine chronicled to posteritie. First, that none of the citizens (in the feasts of Whitsuntide, or anie such times, in which their hirelings are accustomed to go foorth) should assemble armed, to cast foorth the husbandmen after the old maner. Secondlie, that the inhabitants méeting together, should no more assemble vnder a certeine colour of gaine, which for exercise of the bodie (as it was supposed) was holden after the example of one (I can not tell who) Robert Hood a wild or vplandish man. Thirdlie, that there should be no priuat leagues contracted betwéene subiects. Which lawes did after bring great peace, ease, and quiet to the publike state.
I have silently omitted hyphens that occur at line endings. Marginal note against line beginning "In Juli was a parlement": "1555. A parlement"; against line beginning "ouer the rest, théese seeme worthie": "Fr. Thin. Lesleus. lib. 10. pag. 524".
The 577 edition briefly notes the parliament but gives no particulars.
Readers wishing to look up passages cited on IRHB in the original editions should be careful to note the book and chapter names etc. cited in IRHB's source references. The collations of the 1577 and 1587 editions of Holinshed are quite confusing, some sequences being paginated, some having leaf numbers, some neither. Note also that although the 1577 edition is in four volumes and that of 1587 in six, they were often bound (issued?) in two, respectively three, volumes. This is often reflected in PDFs of early editions.
- Not included in Dobson, R.B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 315-19.
- Outside scope of Sussex, Lucy, compil. 'References to Robin Hood up to 1600', in: Knight, Stephen. Robin Hood: A Complete Study of the English Outlaw (Oxford, UK; Cambridge, Massachusetts: Blackwell, 1994), pp. 262-88.
- Holinshed, Raphael; [Wolfe, Reyner]; [Fleming, Abraham]; [Thynne, Francis]; [Stow, John]. The first and second volumes of Chronicles, comprising 1 The description and historie of England, 2 The description and historie of Ireland, 3 The description and historie of Scotland: first collected and published by Raphaell Holinshed, William Harrison, and others: now newlie augmented and continued (with manifold matters of singular note and worthie memorie) to the yeare 1586. by Iohn Hooker aliàs Vowell Gent. and others. With conuenient tables at the end of these volumes ([London], ), vol. V, The historie of Scotland, p. 358,
- Holinshed, Raphael; [Wolfe, Reyner]; [Hooker, John]; [Harrison, William]; [Fleming, Abraham]; [Thynne, Francis]; [Stow, John]; [Stanyhurst, Richard]. The Chronicles of England, from William the Conqueror (who began his reigne ouer this Land, in the yeare after Christes natiuitie 1066.) vntill the yeare 1577. Faithfullie gathered and compiled by Raphael Holinshed. And continued from the yeare 1577. vntill this present yeare of Grace 1585. Newlie amended and inlarged. With a necessarie table therevnto annexed, both of names and matters that are memorable (London, ), vol. V, The historie of Scotland, p. 358,
- Holinshed, Raphael; [Wolfe, Reyner]; [Harrison, William]; [Hooker, John]; [Fleming, Abraham]; [Thynne, Francis]; [Stow, John]; [Stanyhurst, Richard]; [Ellis, Henry, ed.] Holinshed's Chronicles of England, Scotland, and Ireland (London, 1807-1808), vol. V, p. 576.
- The Holinshed Project: The Texts.
- 1577 - Holinshed, Raphael - Chronicles (1)
- 1577 - Holinshed, Raphael - Chronicles (2)
- 1577 - Holinshed, Raphael - Chronicles (3)
- 1577 - Holinshed, Raphael - Chronicles (4)
- 1577 - Holinshed, Raphael - Chronicles (5)
- 1587 - Holinshed, Raphael - Chronicles (1)
- 1587 - Holinshed, Raphael - Chronicles (2)
- 1587 - Holinshed, Raphael - Chronicles (3).
- Holinshed, Raphael: [Wolfe, Reyner]; [Harrison, William]; [Stanyhurst, Richard]. The Firste volume of the Chronicles of England, Scotlande, and Irelande. Conteyning, the description and Chronicles of England, from the first inhabiting vnto the conquest. The description and Chronicles of Scotland, from the first originall of the Scottes nation, till the yeare of our Lorde. 1571. The description and Chronicles of Yrelande, likewise from the firste originall of that nation, vntill the yeare. 1547 (London, ), vol. V, The historie of Scotlande, p. 358.