Jump to: navigation, search

1831 - Lewis, Samuel - Topographical Dictionary of England (05)

Allusion
Date 1831
Author Lewis, Samuel
Title A Topographical Dictionary of England, comprising the Several Counties, Cities, Boroughs, Corporate and Market Towns, Parishes, Chapelries, and Townships, and the Islands of Guernsey, Jersey, and Man, with Historical and Statistical Descriptions
Mentions Little John's Grave (Hathersage); Robin Hood
Loading map...
Little John's Grave in Hathersage churchyard.

By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2017-05-30. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2017-06-16.

Allusion

 HATHERSAGE, a parish in the hundred of High Peak, county of Derby, 5¼ miles (N. by E.) from Stoney-Middleton, comprising the chapelries of Darwent and Stoney-Middleton, and the hamlets of Bamford, Hathersage, and Outseats, and containing 1856 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Derby, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, rated in the king’s books at £7. 0. 5., endowed with £200 private benefaction, £400 royal bounty, and £2000 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Duke of Devonshire. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is an ancient embattled structure in the later style of English architecture, consisting of a nave, side aisles, and chancel, with a lofty spire: in the chancel are several monuments of the family of Eyre, ancestors of the earls of Newburg; on an altar-tomb, represented on brass plates, are effigies of Robert Eyre, who fought in the battle of Agincourt, and of his wife and fourteen children. On the south side of the church-yard is a spot shewn as the place of interment of Little John, the favourite companion of Robin Hood: the body of a Mr. B. Ashton, who was buried here in 1725, was discovered, in 1781, quite perfect and petrified, retaining the flesh colour as when entombed. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists, and a chapel for Roman Catholics. This parish is in the honour of Tutbury, duchy of Lancaster, and within the jurisdiction of a court of pleas held at Chapel en le Frith every third Tuesday, for the recovery of debts under 40s. In 171 8 a school was erected by subscription, on a piece of land given by B. Ashton, Esq., who endowed it with £5 per annum for the schoolmaster; the premises having become dilapidated, the school has been discontinued, and the arrears of annuity amount to about £100. There are several bequests for the use of the poor. Here are manufactories for needles, buttons, and calico. The river Derwent flows through the parish. Eastward from the church is Camp Green, a circular enclosure encompassed by a single mound and moat, evidently of Danish origin. In the vicinity are some irregular rocks.[1]

Source notes

Capitals and small caps as in printed source.

IRHB comments

Lists

Editions

Background

Also see

Notes

  1. Lewis, Samuel, compil. A Topographical Dictionary of England, comprising the Several Counties, Cities, Boroughs, Corporate and Market Towns, Parishes, Chapelries, and Townships, and the Islands of Guernsey, Jersey, and Man, with Historical and Statistical Descriptions (London, 1831), vol. II, p. 339, s.n. Hathersage.