Jump to: navigation, search

Little John's Ground (Pentridge)

Locality
Coordinates 50.961388888889, -1.9458333333333
Adm. div. Dorset
Vicinity In Pentridge, immediately E. of Earthpits Lane; immediately SE of Whitey Top Farm
Type Area
Interest Robin Hood name
Status Defunct?
First Record 1838
Loading map...
Little John Ground was the name of an area within this close in Pentridge..
Looking ENE from Earthpits Lane in Pentridge, Dorset. Little John's Ground was the name of an area within this close / Google Earth Street View.
Looking SW from Whitey Top Farm in Pentridge, Dorset. Little John's Ground was the name of an area within this close / Google Earth Street View.

By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2017-10-24. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2017-11-06.

'Little John's Ground' was the name of an area in a close on the east side of Earthpits Lane in Pentridge, immediately southeast of Whitey Top Farm. First recorded in the 1838 tithe award for Pentridge, this field name is noted in the Place-Names of Dorset (1989), but the present entry would seem to be its debut on the world wide web. The 1838 tithe award lists the close as "Little Johns Ground or Whites Hill and Stony Closes", its state of cultivation as arable, its area as 17 acres, 2 roods and 5 perches (70946.45 m2). The close was then owned by Cropley Ashley-Cooper, 6th Earl of Shaftesbury, and occupied by William Gilbert Goddard, Esq.[1]

Gazetteers

MS sources

Printed sources

Maps


Background

Also see

Notes


Image gallery

Click any image to display it in the lightbox, where you can navigate between images by clicking in the right (or left) side of the current image.