Robin Hood's Well (Colwell)
|Vicinity||550 m SSE of Colwell, on the east side of B6342|
|Interest||Robin Hood name|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2017-05-08. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2017-05-15.
Hardly any information is available on Robin Hood's Well, located on the east side of the B6342 about 0.5 km SSE of Colwell, Northumberland. It is included in a list of sites in the vicinity of Swinburn Castle and briefly mentioned on a page with historical information for tourists. That is all. The first reference I have found to it is a 6" OS map of the area published in 1866, based on surveying done in 1862. The well is also indicated and labelled on subsequent versions of the map until at least 1952 (see Maps section below).
- Not included in Dobson, R.B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 293-311.
- 6" O.S. map Northumberland LXXVII (1866; surveyed 1862)
- 6" O.S. map Northumberland LXXVII.SE (1897; rev. 1895)
- 6" O.S. map Northumberland LXXVII.SE (1897; rev. 1895) (georeferenced)
- 6" O.S. map Northumberland nLXXXII (1925; rev. 1920)
- 6" O.S. map Northumberland nLXXXII (1952; rev. 1946).