Robin Hood Farm (Bassenthwaite)
|Vicinity||c. 550 m NNW of Bassenthwaite|
|Interest||Robin Hood name|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2017-08-30. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2017-09-10.
Robin Hood Farm is situated c. 2 km NE of Bassenthwaite Lake and c. 0.5 km NNW of Bassenthwaite village in an area labelled 'Robin Hood' on the 6" O.S. map of the area published in 1867 as well as subsequent revisions (see Maps section below). The name 'Robin Hood' may have originated as a name for the area, the present Robin Hood Cottage or, perhaps less likely, the farm. Not included on the O.S. maps, the name 'Robin Hood Farm' probably arose later, though hardly later than the 20th century, judging by the look of the sign next to the gate in the second photo in the Image Gallery below.
- Not included in Dobson, R.B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 293-311.
Vicinity, cottage or farm labelled 'Robin Hood'.
- 25" O.S. map Cumberland XLVI.16 (1900; rev. 1898)
- 25" O.S. map Cumberland XLVI.16 (1925; rev. 1923)
- 6" O.S. map Cumberland XLVI (1867; surveyed 1864-65)
- 6" O.S. map Cumberland XLVI.SE (1900; rev. 1898)
- 6" O.S. map Cumberland XLVI.SE (1900; rev. 1898) (georeferenced)
- 6" O.S. map Cumberland XLVI.SE (19230; rev. 1926)
Click any image to display it in the lightbox, where you can navigate between images by clicking in the right (or left) side of the current image.